Lucy Adams was the HR Director at the BBC during one of its most turbulent periods. In just five years the BBC had four Director-Generals, opened the new BBC in Salford and the largest multi-media newsroom in Europe, delivered significant financial reductions and, of course, coped with numerous crises including pay-offs and Savile.
Lucy was at the heart of all of these events and led on many more. She talks about what it takes to lead change in such a high profile environment and shares her experience of becoming part of the story.
Lucy was at the BBC from 2009 until 2014 and before that, Group HR Director at Serco plc and Eversheds. She has led and delivered change in complex organisations for over 15 years.
She was responsible for delivering significant changes at the BBC including:
- Reducing BBC management by over 30% – saving £25m+ a year
- Delivering people plans so that BBC North and the new multi-media newsroom in Broadcasting House opened on time, on budget and without anything falling off air
- Managing the entry and exit of several Director Generals and leading the response to the Savile crisis
- Reforming executive pay and managing the subsequent media and political fall-out including representing the BBC on the Today programme, Panorama and Newsnight
- Delivering pension reform and other contentious changes in a highly charged industrial relations climate
Click here to read Lucy’s blog on DisruptiveHR
And Lucy’s new fantastic book is available on pre-order here!
Leading People in a Disrupted World
Leadership in Times of Crisis
Delivering Real Change in Complex Organisations
When Power Corrupts – Preventing a Bullying Culture
“You were an absolute star turn.” Future Talent Conference
“You managed to do that difficult thing of getting people to think more broadly about their profession, sharing fresh thinking from other companies and weaving this into a stimulating and entertaining narrative – great result!” Accenture
“You were fantastic! The levels of enthusiasm, engagement and participation from the audience were unprecedented with this group. I found you insightful, educational, inspirational ....” Deloitte
“THANK YOU for a great session yesterday - you absolutely nailed it.” Standard Life
“You were great! Exactly what we needed. The feedback about you was glowing.” IBM
“You were the top scoring speaker!” Richmond Events